Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Rhubarb...what a funny name

Made some rhubarb crisp - gluten free! Turned out so yummy, I couldn't tell it wasn't the real deal . I must confess, I am guilty for having some for breakfast.


Make some yourself, or call me and see if there's some available for tasting. None left right now, but I'm sure I'll make it again soon! Recipe can be used for any fruit of your choosing: rhubarb, apples, peaches, pears, etc. I included rolled oats in mine, but if you can't have oats then just omit it. With or without oats the recipe works fine. Some of the juicier fruits may benefit from a tablespoon of Minit Tapioca sprinkled on the bottom of the greased pan before adding the fruit. Helps suck up the liquid that is released when baking.

Gluten Free Rhubarb Crisp

4 cups sliced/diced/chopped fruit
1/3 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup white rice flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon, optional
1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats (example: Bob's Red Mill brand), optional

Heat oven to 375F. Arrange fruit in greased 8"x8" square or 9" round dish. Mix remaining ingredients in a medium bowl and crumble over fruit.

Bake until topping is golden brown and fruit is tender, about 25-30 minutes.
Serve warm...and it's good with ice cream too!

Enjoy :)


1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you could get gluten-free oats. I will definitely have to try this recipe. I think I have apples left in the freezer from the in-laws....from last year, but whatever!!

    ReplyDelete