Sunday, July 1, 2012

Adventures in Gluten Free

So, I watched the movie Julie & Julia last night. It's been on the list of movies to watch for a while, finally making our way through a few of them.  Anyways, it launched me back into blogging mode. I think I need a writing outlet for the gluten free adventure I'm on, and if there's at least one other person out there in cyberspace that might find this useful, then it hasn't been a complete waste of time. Just my online personal journal I'll let you snoop through!

Rewind 1 year....I was having some thyroid issues - my medication did not seem to be working like it should to relieve my symptoms for hypothyroid/Hashimoto's. So I picked up some books from the library, and did some research. Figured I might have adrenal gland fatigue (turns out I did, but I'll save that story for another day). Anyways, in one of the books it mentioned a gluten free (GF) diet would be helpful for people with thyroid problems, so I figured why not give it a try. Couldn't hurt. I had been through dietary restrictions before. While breastfeeding DD, I had to give up all dairy & dairy products in my diet as it bothered her stomach. So I was familiar with reading labels and where the grocery stores hid the special types of food.

Of course, I expected instant results. I was hoping for more energy so I didn't have to nap on the couch all day long. Didn't happen. I was still horribly exhausted, had trouble sleeping, etc. So I started seeing a naturopath (highly recommend him!), and he also suggested reducing my gluten intake (later he changed this to 100% eliminating it). Once I had my adrenal gland stuff in check and on the mend, the GF diet seemed to be helping. Less tired and grouchy were two of the main improvements. And while I don't officially have Celiac Disease, because I do have one auto-immune issue, there is a greater chance of having another one, like Celiac. For the most part, gluten does not seem to bother my stomach? But best to avoid damaging my insides, just in case!

I'll be making posts every now and then sharing with you my experiences trying new recipes (I've gathered a whole stack on them on Pinterest!), new products I've tried (good & bad), and GF dining out. So stay tuned! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment