Saturday, January 19, 2013

What's for Dinner? - Stuffed Green Peppers

This is an old standby recipe. My mom made it when I was a kid - so I mean it's really old, lol :) I've changed a few things to make it my own, but it's pretty much the same. Anyways, it just so happens to be gluten free - hey, what are the chances?! This is the full recipe. I make a smaller version for us, since we're only 2.5 people here...



Stuffed Green Peppers
6 green peppers
2 pounds ground beef (could use ground turkey too)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic (originally calls for 1, I use 6)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1.5 cups cooked rice (1/2 cup uncooked)
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Ketchup (I only use Heinz, no-name just won't do! I remember my mom used to say "there are no other kindz" to rhyme with Heinz....not sure if that was slogan back in the black & white tv era that she's from, or if she made that one up, lol).

Anyways....

Cook 1/2 cup rice with 1 cup water until done (time varies with type of rice). Set aside to cool.

In a large bowl mix together raw meat, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, cooked rice, parsley, and enough Ketchup to make it stick together (approx 1/4 cup maybe?). Stir until combined and set aside.

Hey! Look! I actually remembered to take a picture of me making something and not just the end result! :)


Wash peppers, remove tops and seeds. My mom cooked them standing up. I cut them in half and place them in the dish laying down as in the picture. Up to you. If you are making 6 you probably want them standing up so you don't need a huge pan to cook them. Fill peppers with meat/rice mixture and top pepper with a bit of Ketchup (optional, but it makes it look pretty) :)

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 2 hours. My mom used to serve this with potatoes, but my people don't really like potatoes. And there's rice already in it. So I just pair this with a salad or DD's choice of vegetable and call it a day. Simpler is better, right?

Aside from the ketchup, there is no "processed" items or sugar in this recipe too, which I know some of you are into. Heinz does make a reduced sugar version of their Ketchup, not sure if it's available in Canada though.

Warning: cooking of the green pepper makes the whole house smell strongly of peppers or a day or two, and it's not a lovely aroma like when you bake a turkey or lasagna....lol :)



No comments:

Post a Comment