Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Cinnamon buns - yummy!

Okay. Here it is. I have to admit I have an addiction. A Pinterest addiction that is, lol :) I'm on there all the time, seeking out awesome things I can copy to my boards, probably never to be used. Okay, that's maybe not completely true. I've tried a few things. Just not enough hours in the day to try more!

Here's one I pinned to my GF Food board. Sounded too good to be true, so I had to test it out! Believe it or not, the recipe worked! Really just one thing I would change (the cinnamon/brown sugar filling), but I polished off the whole thing on my own (no, not in one sitting, I managed to spread it out over a week). Insert drool here....





Soft and wonderful and completely gluten free. Maybe not guilt free though....

You'll notice mine didn't seem to rise compared to the original blogger's. Either my yeast was no good, or the recipe failed to tell me to let them sit a bit before baking. I rarely use yeast recipes, so I don't really know what went wrong. Will have to try a few things out next time around. They still were really tasty, regardless of how they looked! :)

Here's the original recipe I used from the Mom, What's for Dinner? blog, with my changes in red. Do what works best for you, or call me and ask nicely....maybe I'll make you some :)

INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup sugar
(just to clarify, I used white sugar)
2/3 cup of milk, room temperature
1 tablespoon yeast (I had bread machine yeast, which the jar did say I could use like regular, but maybe that was my problem?)
1 egg
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup potato starch
1 cup corn starch
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 teaspoons xantham gum
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Plastic wrap sprinkled with 2 tablespoons sugar (white sugar again)

FILLING
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon

I would use the filling recipe from my regular cinnamon bun recipe, this one seemed dry. Here it is...

1/3 cup room softened butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Mix 3 ingredients together in small bowl. Spread on dough.

GLAZE
¾ cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
milk

I used my cream cheese icing recipe and just spread it on a single serving before eating, rather than icing the whole works. Here's what I used:

1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups icing sugar
1 tbsp milk

In a large bowl combine above ingredients. Beat until creamy. Store remaining in freezer. Can be thawed and refrozen.


DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In medium bowl, combine butter and sugar. Mix well. I put in my kitchen aid mixer.
Measure warm milk and add yeast to milk. Whisk well to fully dissolve.

Add milk/yeast to sugar mixture.
Add Egg, oil and vanilla to mixture and mix.

Sift together remaining ingredients. Add to mixture Mix very well, being sure to remove all lumps. Dough will be very soft... its ok... it is supposed to be.

Take a piece of plastic wrap and lay it out so it covers a 13 1/2" x 13 1/2" square. Sprinkle sugar on the wrap.
Lay ball of dough on top of that. Then pull out another sheet of wrap and gently lay over the dough.Roll out dough into about a 13 1/2" x 13 1/2" square of dough.

Remove top piece of wrap. Combine filling ingredients. Spread evenly across dough's surface.

Use the bottom piece of wrap to lift the edge of the dough and start to roll it up forming a long cylinder. Start with the sugary edge, which will be the center of your roll and roll toward the sugarless edge. Cut off or trim up the irregular ends of your "log" (I didn't do this). Then cut into 8 or 9 slices of similar size, about 1 1/2" wide. Place rolls into a greased round glass pie pan.

Bake approximately 20 minutes, until tops are lightly browned.

Combine powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk to make glaze. The amount of milk you use will depend on how thick you want the glaze to be. Stir until all lumps are dissolved. Drizzle over warm rolls.


No comments:

Post a Comment